How Much Does It Cost to Apply Whiteboard Paint?

Typical Range:

$20 - $300

Find out how much your project will cost.

Cost data is based on research by HomeAdvisor.

Published October 21, 2021

Written by HomeAdvisor.

Whiteboard paint lets you turn any surface into a creative space. On average, expect to pay between $100 and $360 to turn a small- to medium-sized surface into your own personal whiteboard.

Average Cost to Apply Whiteboard Paint

Low Cost$20$65+*
Average Cost$65+$100+
High Cost$300+$3,000+

*Average cost could vary based on the size of the surface you need to paint.

Average Cost to DIY Whiteboard Paint vs. Hiring a Professional

This is one situation where you could save money with a DIY, but you’ll make up for it in extra time.

Time5+ hours for a medium-sized space$20 – $50 per hour
Total Cost$65+$115 – $360+

Whiteboard Paint Prices

The brand and quality of the whiteboard paint will make a difference in your overall cost. Some brands require multiple coats, so you may need to buy extra paint.

Here are prices for some popular whiteboard paint brands:

Hire a Local Painting Pro
Find a Pro

Whiteboard Paint Labor Costs

For paint jobs, your largest expense will likely come from labor costs. On average, the cost of supplies only makes up 15% of the project total. Painting labor costs account for the other 85%.

You can expect to pay between $20 and $50 per hour for labor. Depending on where you live, rates can go as high as $75 per hour.

Many professionals charge by the square foot instead of hourly because the use of tools like paint sprayers significantly reduces the amount of time it takes to complete a job. On average, companies charge between $1 and $6 per square foot.

Whiteboard Paint Cost Factors

When budgeting for the installation of whiteboard paint, there are multiple factors that can affect the price including:

  • Cost of paint product: Higher-end and specialty paints are often more expensive. Keep in mind less expensive brands could cost you more if you need multiple coats.

  • Size of your space: Because most professional painting companies charge per square foot, you’ll pay more for a large project space.

  • Obstacles: Professional painting crews may charge more if they have to work around furniture, appliances, fireplaces, windows, or other obstacles.

  • Other materials: If you choose to DIY your whiteboard paint, you may need to purchase additional supplies.

  • Time cost: If you’re a beginner or you lack specialty tools (like a paint sprayer), it will take you much longer to complete the job than hiring a professional.

DIY vs. Hire a Professional Painter to Apply Whiteboard Paint

Applying whiteboard paint isn’t difficult and can be applied like most other household paints. You’ll need to spend a little extra time prepping the wall to ensure a smooth finish, but the application process isn’t complicated.

However, if you want the best results, hiring a professional painter near you may be your best option. Whiteboard paint works best on a very smooth surface. This ensures that your new writing space is free from bumps and imperfections. Sanding the surface can be intensive, and it’s easy to miss areas. A professional will save you time and energy, even if it costs a little extra.


How do I prep my walls for whiteboard paint?

For the best results, use 200- to 250-grit sandpaper to remove all bumps and imperfections from the surface of your wall. Once you’ve removed lumps, bumps and dried paint drips, use a damp microfiber cloth to remove any particles from the surface of your walls. You should add a white base coat or primer to really smooth out the surface before painting.

Do I need any specialty tools to apply whiteboard paint?

Besides sandpaper, you should invest in larger microfiber paint sleeves. Foam rollers don’t apply enough paint at once. You’ll also need to bring your patience. Depending on the type of paint you use, you may need to mix two products to get the surface you want. This type of paint is a bit finicky. You’ll need to ensure the moisture and temperature levels in your home are consistent to prevent drying problems.

Can I paint over whiteboard paint?

Yes. If you change your mind later on, you’re not stuck. You’ll want to add a high-quality primer over the surface before adding any new paint to your wall. Alternatively, you can remove the whiteboard paint by stripping the wall and starting fresh.

How do I clean whiteboard paint walls?

You can clean your whiteboard walls with a damp microfiber cloth. To prevent staining, make wiping the walls a regular part of your cleaning routine.

Start Your Painting Project Today
Get Estimates Now